We’re upgrading a three-mile section of the A303 between Sparkford and Ilchester, to make the road safer and more reliable. The delivery of this scheme is part of a long term aim to create a high-quality dual carriage way link between London and the South East and the South West.
The scheme will:
- The A303 Sparkford to Ilchester dualling scheme is part of National Highways ambitious vision to create a continuous high quality dual carriageway for the whole route to the South West.
- The aim is to transform the route into a high quality dual carriageway where ‘mile-a-minute’ journeys are the norm.
- The A303 Sparkford to Ilchester dualling scheme will improve journey time reliability using higher quality junctions that enable a smoother flow of traffic.
- A fully dualled carriageway is safer than a mix of single and dual carriageway and will improve journey time reliability.
- The planned improvements to the A303 Sparkford to Ilchester include dualling the road, installing central barriers and modernising junctions so they safely separate traffic . This will create a safer environment for local travellers and people travelling to and from the South West.
- A key aim of the A303 Sparkford to Ilchester dualling scheme is to make the road safer for all members of the local community.
- The planned A303/A358 route corridor improvements will help unlock opportunities for economic growth in the South West.
- The A303 Sparkford to Ilchester road improvement scheme will assist with the Somerset Growth Plan developed by Somerset County Council to support economic growth and prosperity.
- The project will create a number of employment opportunities as detailed below. We will work with the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership to fulfil these commitments.
- 5 work experience placements
- 16 apprenticeships
- 2 graduates
- 2 summer placements
- 49 construction careers events
- 15 jobs created for the unemployed
The planned A303/A358 route corridor improvements will enable better connectivity to the South West for businesses, tourists and road users.
The A303 Sparkford to Ilchester dualling scheme will provide better access and connectivity between local communities and nearby towns. The new bridges at Steart Hill and Hazlegrove will provide safe connections across the A303 for local communities.
- The planned A303/A358 route corridor improvements aim to deliver better environmental outcomes by establishing an improved road network, whilst protecting the environment using methods such as planting and screening to provide buffer zones.
- The A303 Sparkford to Ilchester dualling scheme will minimise impacts on the surrounding natural environment and landscape and optimise environmental opportunities that the road improvements offer. Find out more in our environment section.